Leonie; part time student, full time caffeine addict
reading list

Monday 3 March 2014

Dear Diary...

Tuesday 17th December 1815
Harriet's inclination to marry Mr Martin strikes me as terribly hasty. She has shared with me that she believes that every woman should marry, yet I have none of the usual inducements of women to marry. If one has sufficient income in her own right she has no other reason than to marry that for love. Regardless of that, Mr Martin is a farmer; in no way adequate for Harriet's hand. Even if she were to love such a man, it would bruise her reputation, and she would lose the respect of many of high profile.

Friday 20th December 1815
I'm ever so astonished by Mr Elton's marriage proposal! I was so certain that Mr Elton was in love with Harriet, so it comes as quite a shock to me. The pair are so suited to each other, and I'm terribly sorry for Harriet for convincing her of such. I suppose he doesn't care much for love or character, but rather the status I hold in Highbury. I, of course, declined, as I wouldn't ever leave my dear father for the sake of wedding a man who cares not for me as a person. I only hope that darling Mr Elton finds love with a young woman he is more suited to, whether it be Harriet or not. Such a gentleman deserves to find love in a woman, and a woman would be greatly privileged to earn his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment